Monday, February 20, 2006

My First Day Of Work

5 am - Rise and Shine. I start the day with just four hours of sleep. A little nervous cause it's my first day of work and I have totally no idea what my job scope is like.

6 am - I leave my home and walk to the train station only to realise that I have left my toasted curry puff somewhere, either at home or on the bench outside my door. I have no breakfast. I step into the train and am bedazzled by the school uniforms of assorted colours and cuts.

7 am - I start work with a first yawn. My mouth has a life of its own, at times obeying the mental command to croak 'Good morning, Sir',' Good morning, Ma'am'. At other times the head just nods forward with a tinge of respect and guided by the force of gravity. 10 Newton. or something like that. I listen to the endless chatter of my mentor as he voices his complains about the Army and how teenagers dont like to follow their parest. I nod politely.

7.30am - I am tasked with delivering mails to the various rooms. I mentally hope that the architect or designer has been fired. There is no gap to slot the envelopes in. Nada. My heart goes out to the envelopes.

8 am - My stomach feels desperately empty.

9.15 am - I start to explore my surroundings and realise there's a Worldwide Honey Tours Pte Ltd advertisement opposite my workplace's lobby. Haha.. thinking about honey.. hehe makes me think sweet things. haha. lame.

9.40 am - I am saved! By a drink. My stomach readily accepts this fresh intake of fluid.
Oh no! It's gassy. The emptiness in my stomach is there to stay. For now.

10 am - My feet are grumbling. I look at my watch and realise there's just one hour left before I can rest!!

10.15 am - Why is time passing by so slowly?? I seize every opportunity to move; volunteering to deliver letters.

10.18 am - Someone sack the person who invented the security functions for the lift! The lift is like all other hotels. You have to slot the card in and let the green light flash before pressing the floor of your choice. It takes a few attempts before the green light acknowledges me as its friend.

10.25 am - My gosh! The hotel corridor is winding. And I really mean winding. The floor layout resembles an 'F' The lift is the bottom rung of the Fl meaning I can turn left or turn right.

10.28 am - Oh no! Why does my steps seem to echo throughout the corridor. I knew I shouldnt have eaten that chocolate bar yesterday. Oh no! X 2. I'm becoming like Kim or Gen being obsessed with their weight. Uh-oh..

10.31 am - I choose to blame my shoes. Big heavy things.

10.45 am - My mentor wishes me farewell as he goes for lunch. The other Bellhops/Concierges are quiet. Unlike my mentor who has a story or anecdote for every topic.

10.55 am - The other Senior Concierge tells me I can go off. Yay! Happiness floods my veins as strength from some hidden reservoir floods through my feet.

11.15 am - I am on the train home. My eyes are no bigger than slits. My brain sends out the nerve impulse to all parts of my body with one simple message. Sleep!
My body turns on its hibernation and standby mood.

12.15 am - I reach home safely but wearily and sleep like a rock on my bed. After a bath of course. A nice warm comforting satisfactory bath.

This is my first day of work. As a Bellhop/Concierge. Concierge definitely sounds nicer not like some boy hoping around with a bell.