Monday, January 26, 2009

you in the cab.

My cab and your car
side to side
And our eyes meet.
Some say first impressions matter
And perhaps it does.
Since our quick game of flirting begins.

My cab gets ahead
And I subtly angle my head
to catch you in my peripheral vision
You receive this unseen invitation
And accept. With a glint of delight.

And our little game begins.
A surreptitious look. Then glance away.
Me then you then me.
Then I see you see me see you.
And you glance away.
Your two ponytails gave you away.

Even if we bump onto the streets
we won't recognise each other.
And so for this brief moment
we are friendly strangers.

Looks and glances
Towards and away
Winks and smiles
Meaningful emotions.

And then the traffic lights go against you
And I can only gaze in loneliness
as your car surges forward.
And as I hopelessly crane my head
Hoping to catch a final glimpse of you
To perhaps say goodbye.

Thus, hope is lost.