Friday, March 27, 2009

Songs.



I don't know about you, but recently, I realize there are more male singers singing covers originally sung by female singers, and vice versa. There was Run by Leona Lewis, that was originally by Snow Patrol. (I think.) Then, there's I Told You So, originally by Randy Travis and now by Carrie Underwood. It's so bizarre, they might as well start writing songs for the other gender instead.

Not that I'm a sexist at heart, or strictly regimental and believe if you're a male songwriter, the song you write can only be sung by males, or somewhere along that line, but surely each song is meant to express a certain degree of affection and feeling meant for a certain range of voice. Besides, if you're popular, and you start to simply do covers, wouldn't that mean that it's cheaper to simply pay royalties instead of writing and composing your own songs.

Perhaps, they should think about reviving the oldies with the new artistes instead. Imagine Leona Lewis singing I Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley. Or David Cook singing Chapel of Love.