Wednesday, October 15, 2014

iThink

Today, I chatted with my Uber taxi driver while on the way to work.
(I'll talk about Uber another time)

My taxi driver broke the ice by asking me about the phone model I was using. From there, it went on to me talking about how older phone models lasted longer, and could still work despite dropping it. (I think I was in a reflective mood).

Then I asked my driver how long he had been driving, and he told me he had been driving for ten years. "Ten years!", I remarked to him. "That's a long time. You saw Singapore developing, and the latest trends and growth through this decade."

He kept quiet for a min or two, before commenting that he hadn't really thought about it in that perspective.

I pointed out that Singapore ten years ago was a very very different picture than now. You had lesser criticism of foreign talent, lesser train lines, lesser taxi surcharges, and so much more.

You could see his mental cogs start turning and he went "true, you are right. It is quite different."

Then, we reached my destination. And indeed, we have changed so much over time, but have we grew old without admiring the beauty of the world?

One could focus on acquiring wealth and riches or status or power, but what good would that do, if you don't see the world?