Sunday, December 04, 2005

well. interesting day.

MJC'll be playing Noah's Ark in a competition in M'sia.. so I thought I'll put it as my blog song to support them. they'll be the only JC band from Singapore other than the other primary and secondary school bands. Hope they win. It aint an easy piece.

Noah's Ark by Bert Appermont.

Went for philwinds concert today. It was totally cool.. though the trombone mispitched a little when he played Can't Take My Eyes Off You. But he managed to hit it off the next few bars when he repeated that phrase, so kudos to him!

Any of you need the Miss Saigon soundtrack, lemme know. I have.

Going out with my peeps from SHSS Band, I can't help but be reminded about why I joined band and my passion for band.

I remember walking around during CCA orientation in sec one and falling in love with the drumset. When I saw the drumset, I knew I wanted to be in band, simply to learn how ta play the drumset. But God had other plans for me. My cohort being a huge number, it was of little surprise that many people joined band and there were actually seven people who wanted to join percussion, me inclusive. Alas! the others had musical background so Mr Sim chose them and rejected me. I was instrument-less till he assigned me to the tuba section.

While most people would appeal not to play the tuba since it was like, the biggest and supposedly the heaviest brass instrument, I was content enough to be in band. Besides, tubas are rather near to the percussion section. From that day, I became a tubist.

It wasn't easy. My sec four seniors took tlc of us (me and hannah). when they graduated, we were sortof thrown aside by the rest of our seniors. one played soccer before and after band pract while the other was always with the double-bassist. hannah wasn't that faithful in coming cause she was in council. So usually it was just me and no-communication with my seniors.

time flew by and one by one they graduated. I do miss a few of them, not all la . Then before I knew it, after much havoc and events happening, I became the tuba SL. it wasn't easy. Compare me with the ex-SL and the current SL and I'll be the one that is the least musically-talented. Yet the end result of a well-bonded tribe compensated my lack of musical knowledge. For this, I have to thank my section who were sporting and loving. They were rather patient with me. Above all, my section was covered with prayers. There were times when I really feared for their unity and playing and resorted to praying to calm my fears. Thank God!

Now, having already graduated from SHSS band, I do still worry about them. About their survival. And I fear that cliques would lead to their downfall.

Individually each member is wonderful. Yet, when put as a whole, the flaws can be clearly seen. The numerous cliques are good in ensuring that every person has an identity yet this would be a problem when the band leaders are chosen. Jealousy and friction between cliques might be thrust into the limelight.

Meetings between leaders are actually speech times where everybody listens to one person talk. The band leaders are concerned about the band but i believe they need to do some thing and not plan stuff. sometimes, being impromptu is the best. Fuelled by a fiery passion, the things u do and the things u say are most true.

Indeed it can be rather stressful for a band leader since most band graduands worry about the band too. Yet, what the band leaders seem to forget is the music formeth the band and wouldnt music bondeth the band too?

I think most of the section leaders know not the full extent of their authority and i dotn want them to be like me, only realising the full authority that leaders are bestowed upon when it reach the graduation period.

Doesnt matter if you dont have the necessary musical background. Your family can learn as you learn. What matters is you have to be bold. to try out new things. to accept failures. to acknowledge faults and seek to rectify them. to believe in yourself cause when graduation day comes, your juniors will go up and thank you from the heart, mind and soul. Above all, know that your seniors believe in you and doesnt matter how many times u fall, seek God's guidance and help and He'll see you through.

One Band, One Sound!
Just some thoughts. band means a lot to me..