Monday, August 23, 2010

Unsympathetic.

The dictionary defines sympathy as sharing of feelings, while empathy is explained as entering or understanding the feelings.

I think being in the army robs me of all sympathy. Perhaps that is one of the few things army has taken from me.

Yet, this world is full of people looking for sympathy. It need not be a significant occasion, like death. It can be something as small as a friend getting bruised, or a sore neck, or a sprained ankle.

Not that I'm completely unsympathetic, self-reflection makes me realize I still have sympathy for those who suffer from something I haven't experience before. Like cramps, of the female nature. I still have sympathy, and obviously not empathy.

But, if it's a bruise or a cut or a sprained ankle and you shake the heavens and the earths because it hurts, I simply have no sympathy. Not because I am a heartless and unfeeling man, but because I've experienced it and still gone on my duties.

I've walked more than 60km with triple layers of blisters, and a sprained ankle, and a sore back, and it is simply impossible for me to summon up some sympathy for you.

I could lash out and point out every grumbling of yours, but what would be the point of that? And so, I hold back my tongue, because no sympathetic words come out, and simply because there is nothing I truly wish to say.

I wonder if you take the silence as encouragement to speak further or as an indicator to switch the topic.

Army has its 'occupational' hazards too.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.5