Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ethan

Ethan, me lad, I feel for you.

I watched as you walked through the restroom two to three times, your face scrunched up in worry.
Then I approached you and realized you couldn't find your dad, but his ticket was with you.
I went through the restroom and checked the surrounding foyer areas for any sign of him, but to no avail.
I advised you to sit on the cushion seats outside the door first, before we would go in together during intermission to determine if your dad was in the auditorium.
You sat down obediently, but still displaying slight anxiety.
With the wits a ten year old can muster, you told me the whole story. How your family were late. How your dad was behind you at the security counter. How you were with your younger three year old brother and your mum, and you went to the gents. Your mum then passed you two tickets, one for you and your father, before rushing into the venue with your brother.
You gave me your father's mobile and I tried calling, only to be diverted to voicemail.
I could only advise you that there was a high chance your father was inside, the underlying statement that he had gone in without you.
Then intermission came, and I brought you in to look for your family. They weren't at the seats so I brought you back to the main foyer area and there they were.
I watched as your dad stood with folded arms, and merely nodded at you as you went towards him.
Then I heard your mum scolding you being 'such an ass.'
My heart goes out to you, Ethan.
I only hope that you will build upon this traumatic incident, and not allow it to morph you. I wouldn't want to see you in the papers on a killing spree.
Ethan, me lad, take care and go forth well.