Monday, December 17, 2012

Million Dollars


I remember how in school last time, the topic of 'what will you do if you had a million dollars' would arise, whether for discussion topics (ussw) or for compositions. (Compositions are the predecessors to essays.)
How far and wide our dreams went. From giving to charity to travelling around the world to flying to space and much more.

Now a decade later, if I had to answer that same question, my answers would be entirely different and I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me on this.

A million dollars can be used to clear study loans, pay medical bills, invest in stock markets, start a company (or companies) and many more. If I had a million dollars, I'll clear my study loans, buy a second hand car, and kickstart my business, put some in a fixed deposit account, and donate monthly to charity.

The clean debt-free, health-ridden, flawless sphere we grew up in, has evolved over the years. Not necessarily for the worse, though. It has definitely gotten more technical. One has to deal with fare calculations, cpf contribution rates, technical faults, nutritional information, waist sizes.

Will this evolution cease one day? I don't think so. It's all casually classified under 'part of growing up'. But, it pays to hold true to the values we had when we were a child. At the end of the day (or year), the values instilled since young aid us in attaining our ever-changing dreams and goals be it short or long-term.

What will you do with a million dollars?