Thursday, January 10, 2013

Work and Life and so not boring

A few days ago, during a family gathering, my uncle asked me 'So, how's work? Boring?' I was stumped. If he had stopped at the first question, I would have answered "like that lor". But, he didn't.

It got me thinking what work means to me.

I dare say I had the chance to preview my job for five years before going into it full time. Sure, there are days where I panic a little, there are days where it can be a little dry and my eyes get droopy. Yet, there are other days where I'm just surviving on adrenaline. There are other days where I'm on a roll.

I know boring doesn't describe my job. I work in a place where everything is fluid. My work is my life, and the similarities between both is the constant change. Every two to three months, there is a new visual arts installation. Every performance is different from the other. Every night, there is a different free performance at the Concourse. Every weekend, there are vigorating and fresh free performances at the Outdoor Theatre.

That's the key element of my job, my life. Fluidity. Not all can take it. Some enter, realize this is not what they want, and so they leave. Now, I'm not saying there is instability in my job. To be honest, my occupation is the most stable of other industries, because we will always crave for human interaction and there is always a demand. I am part of that supply.

A fluid work leads to a fluid lifestyle leads to rearing of the ability to handle anything that comes my way. It allows me the opportunity to stand up on a surfboard amidst surging waves. It trains my dexterity and builds me up to be nimble to swerve, bend, leap, duck, and do a handstand. (I'm kidding about the handstand.)

What does work mean to you? If you could sum it up in one word, what would it be?