Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Lost in Singapore


I GOT LOST! TWICE! IN SINGAPORE

yupz, you heard me right. See, I was supposed to go to Upper Circular Road for a job interview. Well, not the road la. It's an office in a building called the RiverWalk. The thing was, I heard, o'er the phone of the address as Circular Road, I missed out the Upper.

Well, I betcha went 'huh?' when ya read that road name right. It's okay, me no hear of it till today. Anyway, so I did my 'research', checking online map website of Circular Road and trudged out of my house, full of confidence.

Only to have my bubble burst when I reached Raffles Place. See, I looked at the Locality Map, then sorta figured out I had to take Exit G. But, upon exiting Exit G (pun intended) I found myself lost. Totally. Surrounded by buildings, with no sign at all of the Singapore River, which was to be my landmark guide.

So I trotted back again, to Raffles Place mrt startion to look at the Locality Map. And then proceeded to make my way to Circular Road. With no sight of the office. At all.

Bo pian, had to call the person. Kinda embarrassing seh, to call your prospective employer and ask for directions.

Anyway, after a few minutes of determining where I was, and the direction of the River that I was facing, I managed to find the building. And the office.

And I got lost again! Well, not immediately la. We had the interview, discussion of job scope blah blah blah, and then we said our farewells, and I walked out of the office and I got lost!

Okay la, I admit I was a little courageous. I decided to walk to City Hall Mrt. With no way of knowing which direction. Well, I kinda hypothesized that City Hall wld be the opposite direction of the direction heading towards Raffles Place.

How very wrong I was. I decided to walk straight all the way. After all, Singapore so small, if you continue walking straight, sooner or later, you will meet some recognisable landmark ma right.

Wrong.

I walked straight. Ended up on Carpenter Street. No Carpenter shops that I noticed though. Continued walking. Ended up on HongKong Street. Betcha didnt know we have such a street. And, no it doesnt have any similarity to streets of Hong Kong. Continued walking ahead. Ended up on One George Street. Ended up havihng lunch at Hans. [Walking increases one's hunger] Ended up on Cecil Street. Finally a street I recognised. Which leads to Raffles Place Mrt!

I had actually be walking in a circle! Or maybe not la. Because Raffles Place has so many Exits.

So, if you ever get lost in Singapore, don't worry! You aren't alone!