Friday, December 22, 2006

Sadly Happy


Well, today was a rather eventful day!
The second out-of-school performance, TP Band played outside Katong Mall to a receptive crowd, that consisted of both the old and the young. You could say it was well-received. After all, we did play a wide range of pieces that tailors to the old and the young. (No, we didn't play Green Day or Crazy Frog or James Blunt)

It started quite alright, with good weather and a hearty. but my heart nearly stopped when I went band room to realise that my wallet didn't follow me along. It being a new wallet, and a well-thought gift from a friend, i kinda panicked. After some mental searching and some physical foraging in band room, I headed back to the coffeeshop that I had my breakfast at, and [phew!] It was there! Well, not at the same spot that I left it cause the cleaner found it and passed to the drink store owner. But. THANK GOD! If I lost it for good, I think my heart would break!

Hehe. To think of it, when I got my new laptop, I left it by accident in band room also. Seems like I'm not that good with new stuff. Wonder what'll happen when I get married? [winks]

So, after the wallet thing, we got down to business. I went to play my percussion. That's right. Percussion. See I'm a tubist, but there's no available tubas for me to play, so I ended up being a percussion rookie. Prior to this, I actually played the euphonium for an internal event. So, well, I've sampled tuba, eupho and percussion. And, I actually tried playing the timpani, and to an extent, it's easier, because it's bass cleft and the range of the notes is akin to that of the tuba, unlike the eupho, where notes are an octave higher, but then, after a day of enjoying myself, I'm told that the timpani won't be brought due to a lack of space. [Well, Singapore Is small] So I don't really have a choice but to play the smaller instruments like tambourine, and tambourine and well, the tambourine as a whole. And I'm like 'huh... how to play?' And 90% of the percussion section has the same response. 'Oh, just anyhow play/ad-lib can already. Very easy one.'
[To TP Band: Now you know why the percussion sounds so strange. Cause they don't follow the score!]
Now of course, some of my readers would be thinking, 'ad-lib, what's so hard about that?' Well, as far as I know, tubists don't really need to ad-lib ya know. So, it's a whole new experience. Totally new.
So, the journey there and back wasn't eventful, the usual choir wannabes and people trying to sleep.
Playing there was an interesting experience. Emceed by Lina Ng and another guy, [Lina Ng's that babe from the defunct-Cheng Ren Zha Zi, together with Sharon Au, Bryan Wong and one more babe, i forgot her name.] Didn't know Lina was from Cornerstone.
Oh, and I met Constance there. Spunky. Yea, that could be used to describe her. Spunky Babe. Took me awhile to extract her name from my memory bank though. Must be getting old or laggy. Helped her in accounts for a while. Back then with the butts and another babe. Whom we shall not mention. Lest the memories flood back.
So, on the whole, the performance wasn't that bad, though I worry about the conductor though. Old men tire easily. [No, I'm not talking about myself].
And the recent fireworks. Fireworks just for TP Band.
Which makes me miss my sec school band thrashing sessions. We could like just 'talk' it all out ya know. And resolve conflicts. Easily.
If only we could have one in TP Band, but then again, it may not produce the same results.


How nasty jealousy
Thy veins of immaturity
The bonds you break
The hurts you make
Incurable disease
How nasty jealousy

Fear or contempt
Deceit or dishonesty
Anger or rage
Authoritarian or Democratic
Leadership.