Sunday, April 13, 2008

Milo McFlurry

Feeling famished after work, and dampened by the sight of numerous food outlets closed, my mood perked when I saw the latest offering from McDonalds - Milo McFlurry.

It was with much anticipation (and stomach-growling) that the staff served me my Milo McFlurry.

I held it, looked down, and saw vanilla ice cream, with brown sawdust twinkling at me. 'That's it?' I thought to myself. While I wasn't really expecting anything fancy or eye-catching, the initial sight was a turn-off, perhaps due to mental images of the Milo Dinosaur. This would probably be a hobbit compared to that.

My first bite was nothing out of the ordinary. No sudden flashes of light, or warm (or cool) feelings spreading through the veins, or rushes of sugar. Just like a normal ice cream, I thought. Then I bit on something hard.

Ooh! A surprise! I isolated the chunk, and slowly savored it. Looking like a chunk of chocolate, it does have the taste of Milo powder though. Reminds me of the times where I stupidly poured room temperature water into my cup of milo powder, and watched it turn to chunks.

I can't predict whether this may be a crowd-pleaser. Costing more than the average McFlurry, it doesn't quite pack a punch. As always, with McDonalds, its formulas can always be improved. Yet, I can certainly imagine this to be a draw for students on hot afternoons as they struggle to fill their minds with useless data. And, probably for swimmers too.

While I dare say the additional 70 cents is rather expensive, for no more than a few tablespoons of Milo powder, and several rather sweet chunky-unknowns, the dessert is filling and wholesome, no doubt the work of the vanilla ice cream. The staff could perhaps throw in more Milo powder. After all, which Singaporean doesn't like eating Milo powder by itself?