Friday, August 21, 2009

MY kids.

Many a nights during the past ten days,
as I ponder whether I've lost a muse I hold dear,
and the lack of power we have over control of our lives,
I count my blessings.
Or try to, because there're so many.

And, I thank God for my kids.
Not actual kids cause I may not be able
to be a good father
But, then what constitutes being a good parent?

I used to have three kids. Now I have two.
And you know the thing about kids,
is that they aren't crude or harsh,
but just truthful.

(Of course, being called fattie isn't truthful, you know who you are)

There were times I felt really really down
and my kids actually cheered my up unknowingly
It's not about the huge things they do but
the little stuff.
Like reminding to say grace before meals.
Simple things you know.

To be honest, I'm surprised I can still hang out with them.
Differing lifestyles, age gaps, and I only see them maybe once or twice a month.
If I wake up early on Sundays.
One would have expected to drift and simply be like
strangers.
Hi and Bye, and that's it.

But it's not.
True, we're not as close as I would like us to be.
And there're times I'm hesitant on starting a convo
for fear too much time has passed
and the awkwardness settles in
of simple chit chatting.

But a game of crocodile at the playground breaks all ice.

And every time I count my blessings,
I never fail to include my kids.
And if there're five people I meet in heaven
They would part of the five.
And if they ever need me.
I'm here. :)