Monday, May 21, 2007

Deviance.

Walking home from the bus stop just now, when a guy in front of me suddenly crowed like a cock. Honest! I couldn't believe my ears.. but, there was nobody else around, and no cockerel either.

Which turned my mind to a powerful word - deviance.

The truth is, deviance is a rather hard-to-explain word yet easy-to-apply. I remember how, with great pleasure, me and a close acquaintance taught a fellow socio student from China, the meaning of deviance.

But deviance itself is rather interesting. See, I would regard that guy who crowed as a deviance because he doesn't fit to the norms of society, that is, suddenly making animal noises with no rhyme or reason, but he would regard me as a deviance too, because I'm not conforming to the norms of his society.

It's kinda like war, where both parties think they're the good guys and the enemy is the other side.

Interesting, ain't it. Deviance. A word. A powerful word that can show how complex life can be, especially when both parties think they're in the right.

Sometimes being right means being wrong.