Friday, October 10, 2008

20 years old.

Today would mark the day which I've lived for twenty years. That should leave me around fifty years left. But it also means my prime will be here in only ten years. That ain't very far away.

And so I take a stroll down memory lane. Where do I even begin?

I've seen power of words, harshness of anger and the gentleness of humility.
I've chased after joys of friendships, and riches of life.
But that's just what it is. A chase. Like running after the wind.

So I stopped, and smelt the roses.

In full honesty, I'm not too proud of my achievements. Or lack of it. Nobody in their right frame of mind deliberately sets out to harm themselves. But that's what youth does.

The air of innocence, and the chance to try any and everything possible. But some stuff aren't meant to be tested or tried till the right time and person and moment comes.

And identity. I know people who have walked this earth much longer than I have, and they have yet to find their identity. I know I've found mine. Though there are times when I look in the mirror and ponder upon the image I see, I know deep inside, my skills, abilities and my flaws. My strengths, I'm certain, as well as my outlook in life.

I've taken a dagger and stabbed me twice.
I've took a leap of faith and fell to the grave.
I've seen kids grow up.
I've seen some fall away.
I've forced not a few to their knees
I've lent a hand to but a few
I've regretted actions decisions friends I shouldn't have gotten close to
I've carried my burdens unseen unheard unnoticed.

20 years and the road stretches forward. The end isn't in sight. Neither is the beginning but why should I look back and expect to surge forward? No runner can win the race if she continuously looks back.

And so I charge forward, but not without enjoying the roses by the path. And each rose that I pluck and smell, I utter a small prayer for my loved ones. And the few I trust with my life.

I say a little prayer for you.