Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Movies

I watched two movies yesterday. The Days and Mamma Mia!

The Days is a local production featuring an insight into the life of a local gangster. While the storyline has good intentions, it doesn't have enough depth, though on hindsight, it probably manages to put forth what it set out to do.

I wouldn't exactly say the acting was remarkable, and the cinematography was a bit shaky. Too much emphasis on fades and silences, in my opinion. The music didn't leave much of an impression, though I compliment the music for the various fight scenes. There have been movies where the music for fight scenes completely kill the atmosphere.

One thing I enjoyed about The Days was the animation effects. I think back and maybe The Days is a cross between an anime and a school project. Shoot me if you will, but that's my opinion. Ask me to describe what The Days is actually about, and don't be amazed at my loss of speech.

It's not That bad. But it's not very good. But if you want to support local talent, then go watch. Just remember, it's a local film so one shouldn't really compare to Western films. They have free usage of guns. We only have knives, parangs and pulling of hair.

.

Mamma Mia! was a delight to behold. It always interests me how scriptwriters craft composed songs into the storyline and it has to be able to be digested. I can't say Mamma Mia! was a success in terms of this, but it does get my vote in terms of humor and stupidity.

Several scenes will always be etched in my mind, simply because of its unbelievability. That said, this movie would no doubt make a good musical. To an extent, it's so Disney-like. There's a scene where the backup vocals just pop up from under the bridge, or behind the wall, which so so reminds me of the movie Enchanted, in the scene where she sings "How does he know she loves him". Then the whole townsfolk came and joined in the singing. Be prepared to see a lot of these in Mamma Mia!

The music was a bit problematic though. Probably it was the cinema. There were frequent audible quality differences through out the movie. Terrible for the eyes, and the showing of lyrics when the songs are sang made it feel like one big karaoke session. All we need is the words to be highlighted as it's sang.

I can't compare both movies however, since they have a different theme and genre altogether. If you need a good laugh to rewind and relax, I advise Mamma Mia! But if you don't know any Abba songs, then it might not be worth every cent. If you want to see gang fights, and uh see a man being called Baby, by another male, then you should watch The Days.

Have fun. and, don't go GV at PS. Half of it is under renovation, so the snack bar has shrunk. Unless, you smuggle food in. Then who cares? :)