Monday, February 07, 2011

bus ride home

I'm on the way home on bus 81 as I'm writing this.

Beside me is an upper sec male student and behind him his female friend. I have no clue why they do not want to sit side by side to talk.

So I eavesdrop un-purposefully. After all, I can't Not listen when the dude's mouth faces my ear when he turns to speak to her.

Apparently they have two mutual friends named Marcus and Chelsea. Marcus like Chelsea. Marcus is vulgar. Chelsea suspects but Marcus has not plucked up his courage to tell her yet. So they are discussing how to persuade him to tell her.

The usual scoo-qiu-ren (puppy) love story. But this isn't what impacts me.

What strikes me is that her voice is very irritating. I have no idea if this is scientifically possible but i believe age comes with tone. And from the way her voice keeps zao sia-ing and her various pitches, she either has a very wide vocal range, or she has yet to find her voice.

I believe each of us have our own voice. And we need to find it. The right pitch, and depth, that resonates from the heart.

After all, how do you trust or believe or radiate confidence if you don't even know your own voice? Take the old man in front of me. His head is short and white. He wears a faded short sleeve shirt. His voice stems of confidence. I have no clue what he is saying, cause his cheena a bit chim, but I know that he is confident and speaks forcefully, the weight pressing every word down. He is frustrated about the education system and is identifying every flaw. After identifying, he proceeds to elaborate and provides examples. He would probably score very well for argumentative essays.

Work helps me hone my listening skills; both in tolerance levels as well as in identifying confidence/s.

Some people stammer when they speak. Others shout. Some whisper. Some rant on and on and on. But they fail to realize it is not the speed or volume that warrants attention. It is the delivery. (And I don't mean caesarean or natural).

How you speak what you speak for the reason you are speaking. I could shout but not believe every word I say and you will know it and take me lightly. This is why sometimes I take vocal threats lightly. Not that the dude on the other end is raving mad, or that he isn't worthy enough to be taken seriously, but he's actually just breathing air into the phone. If he said his demands nicely, I would actually take him seriously.

A quick example is this. Think of all the television dramas involving terrorists or hijackers or kidnappers or bank hold-em-uppers (I doubt there's such a word). You know the part where they lists their demands over their phones? They don't shout or scream it through. They say it in slow, controlled tones. And they get taken seriously, don't they.

We always think that volume equals to action. But if this were true, we would all have gone deaf from listening to each other shout. And doctors will never give people with hoarse throats medicine cause they wouldn't be taken seriously.

So the pitch is important as the delivery as well.
Why don't you take a listen and reflect upon what you hear? Just unplug your earphones. And listen. Not the words. (Though that is important too) but the tone. The pitch. The delivery.

For these are non-verbal communicators delivered verbally. Its importance is more than words.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7