Monday, February 14, 2011

i confess

I confess sometimes I get a litttle apprehensive when heading out of home into a frequented public area. There're just so many details leaping out at me, seeking to catch my attention.

Now before one thinks 'why would anyone want to catch your attention', bear in mind that most of us wear something or carry something to grasp other's attention. In fact, no matter where you go to, there's always something that catches your eye. Maybe the ad in the train, or the purple dress the girl is wearing, or the business man with a golden pen in his pocket that stands out from his white and black outfit. Or the youth with red and white shades. Or the girl beside me with her ipod and its yellow cover.

And so sometimes i have to brace myself for this onslaught of details. Colors, designs. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Most people plug in their earphones to shut out the rest of the world. So we don't hear that loud prc on the phone five seats away. Or the aunties yapping about the latest sale and their repeated 'han nor han nor'.

Now ideally, when we fill our ears with something that doesn't match what we see, our sight gets maximized to notice details. Of course, sometimes we get caught in our own thoughts.

But for me, my vision sortof gets sharpened. Every detail seem to scream at me.

Like the dude opposite me in black shades and green nike shirt with white nike shoes. He wear a crumpler bag. But this is alright, because there're fixed variables in this train carriage. To an extent, this is a controlled environment, because entry and exit is only by the train doors. There's a limit on the influx and outflow of passengers.

However, when i walk out of Bugis mrt station, the real trouble is. I'm not claustrophobic. In fact, when I was young and burrow into some corner to hide and seek relief. Either I watched too many shows of ostrichs and their head in the ground, or I relished death. But that's a topic for another time.

Bugis station is very packed. People coming in, people going out. And sometimes it really hits me. When I walk out, all the detail. Not just clothes or colors or accessories, but mannerisms and expressions. The look on their faces, the emotions in their eyes, their speech and movement patterns, the swing of their hands, the positions they stand.

It can be overwhelming at times.
This is my confession. Overwhelmed by sight.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7