Thursday, August 11, 2011

Malacca Day 1

As I write this, I am on the second level of a coach on my way to Malacca for a family getaway. The last civilian overseas trip I made was two to three years ago.

Back then, there were only one deck buses. Back then, you could grab chicken rice for 1.20.

I confess I am in a state of anxious excitement. My eyes greedily devour the sights in front of me. Luscious greens stretching till as far as my eye can see. Mountains outlines looming in the distance. Attap houses line the dirt tracks that run alongside the highway. Huge billboards erected scream with color and grasp for attention.

Yet, my mind is confused and uneasy. Oh towering blocks of flats with bamboo poles if clothes sticking out, where art thou forth? Where art thou, trees placed in one straight line beside roads?

How is it possible that there is 'nothing but blue skies for miles'? A short journey and I enter a different world.

These dirt paths bring back nostlagic memories of trekking in Thailand during my army days. Red dirt which is scarce in Singapore.

And as this journey progresses, my mind settles but briefly, ready to be reinvigorated by sights, smells and sounds.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4