Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Life is Full of Divine Humour

Long time since I've posted.

Life. Time-less and full of people. People. Each in their own world, do we really know the person we know? or is it just a thought? Thought. It's what keeps us alive. Life. Ain't it all the circle of life.

Work's becoming a breeze now. Except for yesterday.

Yesterday was a memorable experience; being accused of theft by my office security department.

It was kindof scary in the beginning. Tension in the air, disbelief on my face, accusation hurled at me, heart-pumping, eyes cruel and hard looking at me. It went something like

They: "What did you do with the camera?"
Me: "What camera?"
They: "You dare to say you don't know what camera??"
Silence
They: "On the Second of March, did you pick anything up from where you stood?"
Me: "No.."
They: "Sure? We saw you take a camera"

And so on and forth.. they accusing, me denying.

What happened was that near where I stood, a guest lost her camera. They had footage of me there, which was why they brought me in for questioning.

Soon, the atmosphere relaxed a little. Me persistent in my innocence, they getting tired. (Can't blame them, age caught up with them)

There were two of them. Anyway, I thank God for the skills I learnt in Journalism.

Why do I say that??

Cause a few minutes later, the chief of security (old and married, with half of his teeth left) went to speak to the guest who lost her camera, leaving me with another security guy.
Me being bored, I chatted with him gathering as much information I could gather about him. (Journalism Skills)

What I found out about him: A Malaysian from Ipoh, he worked in Malaysia as a police officer, no rank, before coming to Singapore and working as a security guard for ten years in my place of work. He works 8 hour shifts.

After around five minutes, (I dozed off), the Security Head came back. He started questioning me again, asking repeatedly "You sure you dont want to say anything? I give you one last chance". Finally, (I think) he gave up on me and proceeded to write his report.

CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW SLOW HE TOOK TO TYPE!!!

It was like one word per minute. He would peer at the keyboard over his spectacles before using the tip of his index finger to nudge one of the keys. Then he would stare at the computer screen before repeating the whole process all over again.

I had high expectations of a security officer but now i realise how wrong I was. I had to repeat my particulars five times to him and he still managed to get it wrong!! I forgive him for mixing up my block number (573 become 537) but I'm amazed at how 'Street 53' can become 'Avenue 53'.

Anyway, I dozed off again while he was doing his nudge-the-keyboard game, only to be awakened by the other Malaysian security guy. Finally, the old guy finished his report and printed it out for me to sign.

Heheh. This is where it got a little interesting cause there were grammatical errors in the report.

So there I was, reading through the report and wondering if I should point out his grammatical errors. I did it.
I nodded when he asked if the report was ok and then added, It's alright but there are a few grammatical errors." [Voice a little wavering]

"Grammar errors? Where? Show me."

"Ok, in the first line, it should be 'He was stationed' and not 'He was stationing outside the lift lobby'"

[Face scrunches up in thought, audibly muttering to himself] "He was stationed. He was stationing. He was stationed. He was stationing. He was stationed. He was stationing."

[Looks at me] "Good" [Nods in agreement] "Any more?"

And for around five minutes, we 'discussed' the report.

Well, fast forward all the way.. till the end. They didnt charge me with anything, the camera has yet to be found and I'm innocent. And of course, I hope his grammar improved after that day. Best of all, the interrogation session lasted for so long that for that un-fateful day, instead of earning $22, I earned $30.25. Proving my innocence and giving grammar lessons.

Thank God.