Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Talk

I never cease to be amazed by what members of the older generation can talk about.

I went to Jurong West for lunch today, for steamed fish. Don't ask me what's so special about either the steam or the fish, 'cause it just tastes uh fishy to me. So, in the cab ride there, my mum chatted with my uncle, wait. What I mean to say is, my uncle listened to my mum updating him about the latest developments in the family - who's working where and what and how and why.

And during lunch, she and my three uncles chatted about diabetes and what can be eaten and what not. [My mother's side of the family has a history of diabetes.] Then the topic shifted to making mooncakes.

Thereafter, we went to Dome at Dempsey Road, for coffee. And I spent half an hour trying to explain to my uncle that using a network adapter card and piggybacking on his neighbors networks is illegal. He has this notion that the network adapter card makes him invisible. I hope he understood in the end though. Something tells me he doesn't. But then again, he doesn't have of a lot of bandwidth-intensive applications so that should be alright.

And the topic shifted from Bermuda Triangle to Great Wall of China and how its wall is still so strong to whether emperor of Japan or emperor of China is greater. Then it leaped to differences between a blog and a website followed by advertising methods of websites, followed by a minor discussion on newsreaders and how good and/or bad they were.

Then the topic shifted to silkworms in Malaysia. Followed by how every part of a Yak could be used. Then it shifted back again to how my uncle's colleague demanded an apology from his student who criticized him heavily on her blog, and they had an out-of-court agreement. She paid him some cash for compensation. He teaches law.

Talk is time, so soon it was time to head home. And my mum kindly kept my uncle awake at the wheel with a running discourse about my father's side of the family. I dozed off midway though, but awoke to the still-running discourse.

Now I know where my talking genes come from.