Sunday, September 14, 2008

Touch.

Touch. One of our five senses. Sometimes it gives pleasure, sometimes it gives pain. To touch an ice cube in a heatwave. To touch steam.

The hold of a hand. Trust? Some say it symbolizes trust. Assume you fall down and I stretch out my hand for you to grasp on. You trust me to support me and to boost you back up. I trust you to hold on to me lest you fall midway. Trust. It goes two ways. It can lean towards one side heavier but it still goes two ways. You regarding me as your best friend need not necessarily mean I regard you as my best friend. Yet you trust me and confide in me and I trust you. Why do I trust you? To grant you the confidence to confide in me? Or simply because you trust me. Trust. It goes two ways.

Trust leads to acceptance. Some say two hands clasped together is a sign of acceptance of each other by both parties. Why cling on to someone you don't accept? Rotten apples are thrown by the farmer because he doesn't accept them. Shoddy work is thrown out the window because the boss doesn't accept them. People become untouchables and outcasts of the social system because they are not accepted. Not clung on to.

So then two hands clasped together is a sign of acceptance. But acceptance is rather wide. To accept one's talents, gifts and skills? To accept one's mistakes, wrongdoings, flaws and faults? To accept the power and position of oneself. To accept the value of a person.

Value of a person. Can persons be valued? It's easy to value a vase or an artefact, by its rarity along with when it was created, composed or formed. If there are limited pieces available, the price shoots up. If the creator, composer or author is popular or has passed away, the price shoots up. That would mean value of each and every one of us shoots up every day.

Touch. Cool against warm. Cold against Hot.