Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm baaack!

And my internet has restored!
While I update my torrents download list
to maintain all levels of normalcy,
these past days have made me think a lot
about how much of my daily life is spent
using technology.

Having no internet for four days
is rather depressing.
Nah, that's not right.

I guess, the internet can never really escape us.
Or vice versa.
Take my past few days for example.
Even without an active internet connection,
I could use ebuddy on my phone,
check emails and reply important ones,
and access facebook.
Sortof like a limited internet connection,
but I was still active online.

Why not just scrap off the internet connection and rely
solely on my phone then?
Well, that would be a no-no, because it's different.
It's like using a smaller scaled down-size of my computer
and only very very basic functions.
Like checking my facebook wall, but not able to load facebook's games.
Or checking email but waiting for a longer period of time for the images to load.
Or blogging but with terrible organization and all.
Or replying emails but without proper formatting.

So, I've been thinking can I survive without the internet?
Or, specifically, if the internet at my home goes down again?
I can. I've did it, just with a bit of inconvenience that's all.

I actually die without;
playing my facebook games of which I've invested so much time in;
chattin on msn where I can see my contacts pop up on desktop and it is so much easier to
type on my keyboard than on my phone.
Bigger is better.

And I admit, I've gotten used to switching on the computer after I reach home every night,
with or without a working internet connection.
It was definitely hard to kick the habit, and I didn't.
I did use the opportunity to run virus scans, defrag disks etc.
And, I thank God that I had some videos on my drive I had yet to watch.
One of the reasons why downloading videos is much better than streaming it is that even if the internet fails you, you still can watch it on your computer. or portable media device; psp, ipod etc.

Do you think you can survive if the internet at your house went down?