Friday, October 08, 2010

Life is a routine. or not?

My godson recently commented that life is so boring and mundane.


His daily routine was just study eat sleep study eat sleep and on and on that cycle went. I told him working wasn't much better. Work eat sleep work eat sleep. But I don't find boring and mundane.

A typical day for me is actually quite routine, in terms of task list.

I wake up, brush teeth, bathe, do my quiet time.
I take the bus to work.
I have either a plate of black carrot cake or prata for breakfast, and a cup of teh-o.
Then it's off to work, with canned or bottled drinks for hydration.
Lunch is veg rice.
Then back to work.
Then it's back home, bathe, dinner/supper.
Followed by facebook and settling of games, and checking of emails.
Then bed.

And this cycle repeats.

Does sound rather mundane right? But it's so not.

True that the tasks are the same everyday, but it's what happens during the tasks that make each day different from the other.

Maybe the bus driver smiles at me.
Maybe I get a seat and get some shut-eye on the way to work.
Maybe I settle a record number of calls.
Maybe I get a compliment from a caller.
All these and so much more make each day different, and something to look forward to.

Sure, I definitely deal with disgruntled customers. If anger could fry, my phone would be burnt to a crisp by now. But I still surge on. And, I don't bring the feelings forward to the next caller.
I start afresh with each caller.

And at the end of the day, do I feel tired?

Definitely. But I feel satisfied too. Knowing I've done a day of honest work. Honest in the sense that I've spoken with clarity and dealt with honesty. Not honest in the sense of legal or illegal work.

Life is like a wheel. It just goes round and round and round. But this wheel is huge and some parts of it has diamond studs. Some parts are plain wood. Others have saplings growing forth.

It's not what you do everyday, but what you do during each day.