Tuesday, September 13, 2005

ArGh! My Hair!!!

Today wasn't really a nice day.

I was forced to go to the barber. and my parents were there, telling the barber which parts of my hair should be shortened, which was practically everywhere.

Scene 1: I step into the barber. My dad behind me. I sit on the chair. The barber comes. My dad puts his hand horizontally across the back of my hair, near the middle and tells the barber: "cut to this length". Naturally I protest! but sadly, to no avail.

all goes well. unto..

Scene 2: Barber's shaver emits a strange sound. He pauses. then proceeds to the side of the table where he starts using a screwdriver to bang against you. I try furiously not to let the horror be evident in my eyes. thoughts wander through my mind. What if.. it malfunctions while on my head? Barber tries the shaver against his hand, and (i hope) it seems to be working fine and he resumes shaving my hair off, like nobody's business. At the side, another barber starts combing his hair and looking at himself in the mirror with eyes of admiration. oh man! is he that vain? or is he going for a date i wonder?

Scene 3: I'm in mourning. My sideburns are gone. Little do I realise how much i love them till they're gone. I have lost many of my little ones. my ltitle strands of hair. i feel like a nerd and a toot.

Scene 4: Enter my parents. "eh.. not bad what!" "quite nice leh". Is it me or are they treating me like a small kid? as though giving a small kid a lollipop could make him forget he fell. truly, any doubts i had about my age as viewed by my parents are gone. all clarified and accurate. they think i'm seven.

Scene 5: I hurriedly put the hat on my head, to cover the invisible scars that remain. The barber momentarily uplifts my spirits by saying "you poly student? I thought you're secondary". Yah! I'm not that old. but. oh man. poly student with short hair is.. yuck!


Scene 6: At home. I look in the mirror. "Who is this bald monkey?" I ponder to myself. Thank God I still have my goatpee. Sorry, I mean goatee.